Anaphylactic shock provoked by rinsing with chlorhexidine in the dental surgery
Life-threatening allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) in relation to dental treatment are rare. The diagnosis may be difficult to make, but it is important to identify and treat anaphylaxis promptly. Symptoms from airways and/or circulation, and occasionally
from the gut, are usually accompanied by skin symptoms e.g. itch, rash or swelling. The treatment is intramuscular adrenalin 0,3 mg, repeated if needed. Allergy investigations should be carried out to identify the culprit.
This case describes a young woman who developed anaphylaxis after rinsing with chlorhexidine following a routine dental check. Shortly after rinsing she developed vomiting, diarrhoea, dizziness and fainting associated with a rash. She responded well
to intramuscular adrenalin and is brought to the hospital. Allergy investigations confirm allergy to chlorhexidine.
This case illustrates the need for recognizing anaphylaxis promptly and the importance of rapid and correct treatment of these life-threatening reactions. It also draws attention to chlorhexidine allergy; a rare allergy, which must not be overlooked